Do You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Every year, usually during the winter months, you hear of tragic deaths due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. This deadly, yet odorless and colorless gas, can quickly cause bodily harm and death when people are exposed to it in enclosed areas. Since you cannot see, taste or smell it, a carbon monoxide detector is the best way to alert you if it is present in your home. If you don’t have a detector, you may want to get one installed.

Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide does not just appear; it must be from a source. This gas is a bi-product of incomplete burning carbon-based fuels, such as coal, natural gas, wood, propane and oil. Combustion engines in vehicles produce CO, as can appliances and furnaces that use carbon-based fuel for heat or energy. When the proper ventilation is not present, the gas can fill your car or home, putting your health at risk.

CO does not take long to endanger your health. High doses of CO in an enclosed area can cause you to become unconscious within minutes and suffocate you as it deprives your brain of oxygen. Even those that survive CO poisoning can have serious brain damage and other health effects.

Homes that use gas heat or appliances should always have a CO detector, as well as homes that use propane, oil or wood. Homes that only use electricity for power or heat are less prone to CO poisoning, but if a propane or oil heater is used when the electricity is out, there are risks for poisoning. To be safe, all homes should have a CO detector installed. The next time you schedule your annual HVAC service, ask if they can provide CO testing for your home and install a detector to keep you and your family safe.

Posted on behalf of:
Western Aire Heating & Cooling
Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 505-7426

Comments are closed.